Glasses are available in different sizes and shapes, and with the increased amount of focus being shifted towards decoration, there are many glassware products available in the market for the purpose of art. While such glasses have no functionality, there are others that do and in this case, there are glasses which have etching on them to provide style and function. Etching on the glass is a delicate process but the results from it are great. It provides a brand new look to the glass and spruces it up well. The glassware with etching can be bought from stores or if someone fancies and has the skill for it, these can also be made at home with a set of simple materials including tape and markers to help in making a simple yet great design.
There are artistic efforts and even translucent efforts and the results you get from these are absolutely great to look at. There are various different techniques through which one can easily carry out glassware etching and they are as follows: –
- Acid etching- This kind of etching is a little dangerous as it includes a mix of various different chemical substances which combine to form hexafluorosilic acid which combines hydrofluoric acid, quartz powder, calcium and sulfuric acid which is then systematically poured on the glass to create the design.
- Etching cream- This kind of etching is very popular among enthusiasts and is easy to do as well. The cream is quite safe to handle and these can be found at the art stores; however, skin contact is best left avoided as it still contains a cocktail of dangerous chemicals.
- Abrasive methods- These kinds of methods have gained a significant amount of popularity in comparison to the previous acid based methods and make the use of high pressure air to cut off the glass surface with an abrasive material and creates a cool frosted look on the glass.
- Mold etching- This kind of etching makes the use of molds in the manufacturing process which ensures that the final product always emerges with the particular design being etched into it when removed from the mold. This kind of manufacturing helped in lowering the manufacturing costs and is used extensively even today.
- Frost etching- This process of etching requires the cutting of a vinyl window material which is then applied to a window to help give it a more frosted look.
These different etching techniques help in bringing out the great designs that the people want. The etched glasses can be bought directly from stores, but then the users will need to shell out a lot more in this case. Etched glasses in many cases from major manufacturers can be quite expensive as the mark ups on them are quite high.
Choosing such kinds of glassware etching designs as gifts for others can be a little bit complicated as the customer needs to know exactly what they want and how they want it. In cases the customer is not able to find the design that they want in the market or if they have their very own design that they want to etch onto the glassware, they can do so too.
There are companies out there that even provide customized options as well which can be ordered by customers. Designs can be submitted by the customer for the glassware etching which will be viewed and samples will be created for the customer to view and decide what they wish to have as a final product.